Our Personal Insurance Products

Living your life protected involves more than insuring your assets, it means developing a personal risk management strategy that ensures your peace of mind. Risk and the potential for financial loss is an inherent part of life. Together we will review your current coverages, identify areas where added value is possible, and work with you the develop a risk management plan.
Here at Northern we understand the importance of building long-lasting relationships with our clients. When you choose to work with us, you can feel at ease knowing that you are dealing with an established, local agency that will help you identify, quantify, and manage risk.
Our team of dedicated individuals fully understands the risks that come with insuring your property. Our charge is to partner with you, simplify the complicated, and help you achieve peace of mind.

Have an insurance question? We can help! We enjoy helping customers with their insurance questions,
call us today for more information at 800.807.6542

Please be advised, some products and services may not be available in your area.

Download Our App, Powered by Glovebox

Homeowner's Insurance

For many of us, our home is our most valuable possession. The time to think about a disaster is before it happens to you. If your home is damaged or destroyed, insurance can help you repair or rebuild your home and replace damaged possessions.

A homeowner's insurance policy consists of coverage for your dwelling and your personal property. It also includes liability insurance which pays for injuries to other people or damages to their property accidentally caused by you, your family or your pets. You also can buy several types of additional insurance for property that is not listed in your homeowner's policy or for perils not covered, such as flood. You do this by either buying a separate policy or by adding an endorsement or rider to your current policy.

Northern can help you with the following types of homeowner's insurance:

  • Primary
  • Secondary
  • Seasonal

Personal Auto Insurance

When you buy an auto insurance policy, you are buying a package of coverages. Each coverage protects you against different types of losses. Once you understand the various types of coverage, you can decide which ones to include in your auto policy.

Determine the limits of coverage you will need.

The following are some common coverages found in an auto policy (Note - Your policy may not contain all of these coverages):

  • Bodily Injury (BI) Liability Coverage
  • Property Damage (PD) Liability Coverage
  • Personal Insurance Protection Coverage
  • Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists (UM/UIM) Coverage.
  • Collision Coverage
  • Comprehensive Physical Damage Coverage
  • Rental Reimbursement
  • Towing and Labor

Boat and Jet Skis

Boat insurance works similarly to the insurance for your car, and can provide protection in the same way. However, because boats have different features than your car, you'll want to make sure you have all the coverage you may need - and any savings that may lower your premium.

  • Liability
  • Physical Damage
  • Theft
  • Medical Payments
  • Motor Coverage
  • Trailer Coverage
  • Boat Covers
  • Docking Fenders
  • Communications Devices

Your safety is our #1 priority.

Condominium Insurance

Condominiums and townhouses have special insurance needs. They don't need as much insurance as a house, but as a condo owner, you have more to insure than a renter.

The insurance needs for a condo owner include personal property and liability coverage.

Special policies for condominium owners, known as form HO-6, will provide you with the liability and personal property protection a condominium owner needs.

Condominium owners need to insure not only personal possessions, but also any built-in features such as cabinets, fixtures, appliances and shelves. In addition to covering the personal property, you also need liability coverage for injuries or damage to other people of property.

Landlord Insurance

Landlord insurance is a policy to protect you as a property owner from financial losses connected with your rental properties.

The coverage is on the building itself, with an option to cover contents. It could also cover loss of rent income in the event of fire, lightning, explosion, theft, or malicious damage. In the event of a loss, landlord insurance may also enable you to repair or replace, or get actual cash value for your building on its age. In addition to the property coverage, the liability portion of your landlord insurance provides protection against occurrences such as those related to trip and fall hazards.

Mobile Home Insurance

Mobile home insurance provides coverage for your mobile home, garage or shed, and your personal belongings. It may also provide financial protection in case you unintentionally injure someone or damage their property.

Having the right insurance helps you protect one of your most valuable assets – your home.  Similar to conventional home insurance, mobile home insurance protects you in four basic ways:

  • Enables you to repair/replace or get actual cash value for your mobile home, usually depending on its age.
  • Allows you to replace your personal belongings if they are destroyed, stolen or damaged.
  • Covers injuries that happen to other people or their property while in your home.
  • Covers your additional living expenses if you’re forced to leave your home because of a claim.

Motorcycle Insurance

Motorcycle Insurance typically offers a combination of collision, liability, theft, and related coverage designed specifically to meet the needs of motorcycle owners.
If you own a motorcycle - whether you ride it or not—you need this coverage to protect you from theft, collision, and other common exposures.

ATV and Snowmobile Insurance

Most states don’t require ATV or snowmobile insurance and you may have limited coverage if you have a homeowner’s policy. If you have an ATV or snowmobile, we urge you to contact us and let us review your specific policy to determine whether you need a separate policy.

Umbrella/Excess Insurance

Your personal liability insurance.

Umbrella insurance is designed to give you added liability protection above and beyond the limits on homeowners, auto, and watercraft personal insurance policies. With an umbrella policy, depending on the insurance company, you can add an additional 1-5 million in liability protection. This protection is designed to “kick-in” when the liability on other current policies has been exhausted.

A personal liability umbrella insurance policy can give you added liability protection without a large added cost. Additional liability insurance is often inexpensive, especially compared to the added coverage gained. Finally, liability insurance covers your non-business activities anywhere in the world.

Recreational Vehicle Insurance

A common practice for RV owners is to insure their RV under their current auto policy. Too often they may not take the time to read what and how much is covered under their auto policy. In many instances, RVs covered under auto policies are not adequately covered.

One misconception RV owners have is that the personal property in their RV will be covered under their homeowners policy.  This is true, but coverage on personal property is limited when the property is kept somewhere other than the “residence premises”.  Often the limit in a standard policy is very low and the usual policy deduction would apply.

To insure proper and adequate coverage, you should add a separate RV coverage to your current auto policy or secure a policy specifically for RVs.  If your insurance carrier does not have this type of coverage available, there are insurance companies that specialize in RV coverage.  Usually the cost is minimal, especially compared to the alternative of finding out that your RV and its contents are not covered after a loss occurs.

Renters Insurance

Even though you don't own your own home you have personal property that can be lost to fires, burglaries, and even lawsuits.

While most homeowners are insured for these risks, many renters are not. There is no requirement for renters to have insurance to protect their personal property, so many do not. The first time most people think about property insurance is with their first home, as it is required by the mortgage company. Although renter’s insurance is usually not required, it is just as necessary. Not only will it protect your personal items, but it will also help with temporary housing and liability protection, such as medical expenses for people on your property or a lawyer if you are sued by someone who is unintentionally injured by you.

Three Locations to Better Serve You

Monday - Thursday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm, Friday 8:00 am - 12:00 pm
Plattsburgh Office

171 Margaret Street
Plattsburgh, New York 12901
Phone: (518) 561-7000

Glens Falls Office

136 Glen Street
Glens Falls, New York 12801
Phone: (518) 499-0444

Potsdam Office

69 Market Street
Potsdam, New York 13676
Phone: (315) 769-2404