We are Northern Insuring Agency
Northern Insuring Agency, Inc. is the largest locally-owned, independent insurance agency covering the Northern New York Region.
Our Guiding Principles and Core Values
Our guiding principles and core values drive our culture and how we interact with our valued clients and talented team; they are the standards of our work at Northern Insuring Agency.
- High Integrity: We will always conduct ourselves to the highest professional standards, keep our promises and fulfill our commitments.
- Progressive: With both technology and thought processes, we are proactive and on the leading edge of industry trends, analyzing and introducing new products and services.
- Team Approach: Two minds are better than one. Our clients benefit from our depth and having back-ups in place that allow us to be responsive, cohesive and productive.
- Committed to Education: Attending courses and receiving designations recognizes the importance of deeply understanding insurance products and benefit services to better educate our clients to make the most informed decision.
- Outstanding Experiences: We recognize that every interaction is an experience and that applies to both clients and team members. We are responsive, empathic and respectful.
- Corporate Social Responsibility: We are part of our community and our active, engaged and authentic involvement contributes immensely to a thriving community.
- Comfortable, Welcoming Environment: The positive energy and warm atmosphere can be felt from the very first interaction. Our team is genuinely happy to offer assistance.
- Fun, Family Oriented Place to Work: We spend a lot of time working. It should be and is fun. We are a family business and each team member is part of the Northern family.
- Employees Feel Honored and Rewarded: We appreciate each other and share positive feedback broadly. Team members are active participants and share new ideas that improve experiences and productivity. We respect different opinions and believe there are always two sides to every story.
- Core Value of Culture of Open Communication: We value honest, direct and thoughtful conversations. How to have a tough conversation with a positive outcome is part of our first week experience.
- Culture of Wellness: We believe that wellness is not just physical – it’s emotional and financial, too. Encouraging employees to take care of themselves in these key areas is supported and deeply rooted in our corporate philosophy.
- Shared Profits: Significant and meaningful contributions to the employees’ 401k plan is a priority. We are proud to contribute annually well in excess of the norm.
Deena Giltz McCullough,
CIC, CRM, ACC
President & CEO
I am extremely proud of our professional staff, strategic plan and creative approach to problem solving. At Northern Insuring we don’t “sell” insurance, we are advocates for our clients, educators about insurance and risk managers for the middle market clients we represent.
The Next Generation
Northern Insuring Agency, Inc. was founded in 1930 by three Au Sable Forks businessmen: I. H. Chahoon, Walter R. Hildreth and Frank L. Kemp. In 1933, E. Glenn Giltz joined the business becoming President in 1941. His dedication to excellence and high ethical standards combined with good business judgment were the driving forces behind much of Northern’s growth and success. Following in his footsteps were Roderic Giltz in 1985 and Deena Giltz McCullough in 2008.
From its original branch office in AuSable Forks, the Plattsburgh office was established in 1950, and the Whitehall office was added in 1980. The Massena office was purchased from John Storey in 1983.
Today, Northern Insuring Agency, Inc. services Upstate New York and Vermont with a full range of insurance and employee benefits products and services. We look forward to continuing our over 85 year tradition of providing dedicated, friendly, locally based services to our North Country neighbors.
Northern Insuring Agency Gives Back
Our Corporate Social Responsibility Program
We are committed to the triple bottom line – People, Planet, Profit – and our active, engaged and authentic involvement contributes immensely to a thriving community. We want to grow workforce comradery, increase employee pride and promote a positive corporate image. The return on investment is not the only reason why we contribute. We know we are better people for being involved and sharing our passions. Employees are doing their part to improve our community, society and the world.
Giving of our time is one of the greatest gifts we can offer. We encourage both team and individual efforts and recognize the impact each employee has when they get involved.
Northern Insuring Agency believes we should take care of the resources we have and recognizes that we each make an impact on the environment. We should all do our part and be mindful of future generations.
Generously donating money and goods to worthwhile causes is part of our civic responsibility. Improving the lives of others and providing stability to our local not for profits, including donating blood, food, coats and other consumables, makes a positive impact.
View Our Commitment to Community Page
“We give back because we care and we want our organization to be a true contributor to the health of our community. Our active, engaged and authentic involvement makes a positive impact and we encourage our employees and clients to give back, because as our community succeeds, so do we.”Roderic G. Giltz, Chairman
Four Locations to Better Serve You
*Our Massena office has moved and we are now in Potsdam as well!*
Monday – Thursday 8:00 am – 4:30pm, Friday 8:00 am – 2:30 pm
171 Margaret Street
Plattsburgh, New York 12901
31 Glenn Street, Suite B
Massena, New York 13662
92 Main Street
Whitehall, New York 12887
69 Market Street
Potsdam, New York 13676
Phone: (315) 769-2404